What do you think is the most important thing that you need to enjoy your life fully? that’s the core strength. If your body has no strength or power you won’t be able to enjoy anything. You will get tired easily even after doing something very usual.
When you are running any machine the main thing that makes it go is its strength. that’s the only thing without which you won’t even stand up. The strength of your core can not be built by sitting in your home. You have to work hard to get your core strength so that your life will become easy.
Even in the gym, there are many different machines or tools which are for different purposes. You have to tell your trainer that you have to build your core strength and then he will guide you through some exercises and will tell you which machine will be good for your workout.
But it does not mean that you just have to work on your core. You have to make your whole body strong enough that it can support you. All the links are interlinked so if you want your core muscles strong then you also have to pay more attention to whole body muscles.
To get better core muscles you need to perform certain exercises or workouts. In this article, we will guide you about exercises and workouts that are very beneficial in terms of having strong core muscles.
Everyone has their favorite muscles on which they love to work, some like to build their upper body and other like the leg day but the main muscles that make all the other muscles stronger is the core muscles which consist of muscles that control your spine, and pelvis. These muscles protect your body from falling and play a vital role in the balancing and movement of your body.
The main concept of core strengthening was introduced in 1990 by Hodges and Richardson when they were experimenting with the trunk muscles in people with low back pain. The core area is the main part of the body that makes your body stable. And help you to perform everyday chores more efficiently and safely.
Like when you sit, stand, reach out something, or bend or twist, everything is accompanied by the core muscles. Many exercises are available which are very good for core strengthening. And we will also tell you some of the exercises and the other workouts which are good for core muscle strengthening.
Why Is It Important?
You must have been thinking about why this core strengthening is very important in human life. The main thing that you should know is the core is made up of the lumbar vertebra, pelvis, hip joints, and the other structures that help you in the movement of your body. In short, this area is the building block of your body. The muscles which are present in the core muscle of the body are transverse abdominis, multifidus, diaphragm, and all the pelvis floor muscles. All these muscles work together and provide stability and the functioning of the body.
Though it’s the middle part of your body this part plays a vital role in all functioning of the body. When we say core muscle strengthening it means we are going to target the abdomen muscles which are connected to the spine, shoulder, and pelvis. With the help of these muscles, your body will get good posture and will help you in arm or leg movement.
As we have said before the core muscles are involved in the stabilization of the whole body and when your core muscles are weak you won’t be able to put your body in a stable position and there will be more chances of falling. And with age, your muscles get weak due to which your body needs more support or core strength.
When you do the core strengthening exercises your body will get more strength and will decrease the chance of falls will provide your body with more support balance and coordination.
A study was done that proved that core training exercises can increase strength by an average of about 30% and can increase the amount of balance and functioning by 23 % among older adults. So now you can understand why core strengthening is very important.
Ways To Strengthen Your Core Muscles:
Many exercises will help you to strengthen your core muscles and will work on transverse abdominis, multifidus, diaphragm, and pelvic floor muscles. Let’s see some of the exercises which are beneficial in this regard.
1. Forearm Plank:
If we talk about this exercise, the main focus of this exercise is on internal oblique muscles. This plank exercise is much easier than the standard plank exercise. Let’s see how you can perform this exercise:
- Place your mat on the floor, and lie down on your stomach on a mat. Position your elbow right directly below the shoulders and rest your forearms on the mat. Put your hands facing forward and your arms should be parallel.
- Now position your legs, and extend your legs out behind you. Make one straight line and curl your toes rest them on the mat
- Now in the plank position, keep your lower back straight and squeeze in your core. For the neck adopt the neutral position and hold that position for about 20 seconds. If you are unable to do this for 20 seconds you can do it for about 5 seconds.
- Repeat this exercise for about 3 to 5 times
2. Side Plank:
This exercise is also for the strengthening of oblique abdominal muscles lets how you can perform this exercise:
- Lie on your left side on your mat, straight out your legs stacked one upon the other
- Now try to lift up your body slowly, carrying your weight on your left forearm and elbow, and the side of your left foot.
- Your body should be at the angle as it is forming a straight line from your head to your ankle
- Once you see that you are balanced, place your right hand in the air perpendicular to the body. Now bend the arm and put it on your hip. Hold this position for about 20 seconds or as long as you can easily
- Repeat this process on the other side.
This exercise or pose which we are going to tell you is the main exercise that activates or triggers your whole trunk muscles and works to strengthen your butt, thighs, and abdominal muscles. This exercise will also help you with overall core strengthening and the stability of your body.
Place your mat on the floor, lie down on your back, and place your feet on the mat with hips-width apart.
- Now place your hands at your sides in that position so that the palm will be facing downward.
- Try to lift your hips until you see that your knees are in line with your shoulder. Your head and shoulder should not leave the mat, they should be touching the mat or floor only the hip region or torso will be raised.
- Hold this position for about 20 seconds and repeat this position 3 to 5 times.
There are many ways of doing this exercise. As this exercise will engage your core and also the abdominal muscles. Once you learn this crunch exercise you can do this with some variations.
- Lie down on your back on the mat and bend your knees
- Place your hands behind your head and across the chest
- Raise your shoulders from the floor for about 1 to 2 inches along with this contract your abdominal muscles. Place your neck in a position so that it will be straight
- Hold this position for about 5 seconds and repeat it about 15 to 20 times
5. V- Sit:
For doing this exercise you need some skills and also the balance of your body is a must. This exercise is good for the strengthening of the rectus abdominis, oblique, and also hip flexor. Let’s see how to do this exercise.
- Place your mat on the floor and sit on it. And now balance your body through your bum
- Extend your whole legs out in front at an angle of 45 degrees
- Keep your legs in the raised position and reach your arms forward so your fingertips extend past your knees
- V shape should be formed by your head, torso, and legs, now you can hold this position for seconds.
- Repeat this whole exercise 4 to 5 times.
6. Superman Flex:
This exercise focuses mainly on the lower back core muscles.
- Place your mat and lie down on your stomach.
- Put a rolled-up towel or a throw pillow under your hips so that it will support your back.
- Now tighten your abdominal muscles and lift 1 arm at a time. Hold each arm in the air for about 3 breaths. Then switch to the other arm and repeat the process.
- Now it’s time for the legs. Tight your abdominal muscle and lift your 1 leg at a time, holding your leg for about 3 breaths. And repeat the same process with the other leg.
- If you have a balance you can lift your both arms and legs at a time and hold them for 3 breaths or 30 seconds.
7. Side Bends:
These exercises will be good and will strengthen your abdominal, lower back, and even the side core muscles but only if you perform it correctly. If you think you can do it then only use the barbells otherwise just use the broom or some long straight thing
- Stand straight and tight your abdominal muscles with feet shoulder-width apart. Now put your toes forward and then sling your barbell across your shoulder.
- While holding that barbell on your shoulder, lean to one side as far as you can go but comfortably. Feet should be planted on the grounds.
- Hold that position for 3 breaths and then return to your normal standing position.
- Now bend to the other side and repeat the whole process.
- Always try to complete 2 to 3 sets of this exercise of 15 to 20 reps each.
Squats are very good for your abdominal and lower back core muscles.
- Start this exercise with your feet shoulder-width apart and toes pointing forward.
- Knees and whole body should be in n normal forward position.
- Now slowly bend your knees while bending forward your waist.
- don’t loosen up your abdominal muscles make them tight while bending.
- Extend your arms slightly forward but never overdo this.
- Never bend your back in the squats. It is very important to keep your back in a neutral position.
- Make sure your chest is lifted and the shoulders are down and drawn back as you adopt the position of the squat.
- Hold each squat for about 3 breaths and then go back to your normal position.
- Do the 2 to 3 sets of 15 to 20 reps each.
This exercise is good not just for core strengthening but also for the leg muscles.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Keep your arms at your side and make sure you have enough space in front of you as well as behind you.
- Tight your abdominal muscles while bending to one knee and extend the other leg behind you. Do the pose as you are kneeling to propose to someone.
- The front knee should be aligned with your ankle. The back knee should be bent enough that a straight line should be formed from your shoulder to your hip to the back of the knee.
- Do not lean forward. Keep your body as straight as you can.
- Hold this position for about 3 breaths and then go back to your normal position.
- Try to do the 2 to 3 sets of this exercise with 15 to 20 resp each.
10. Weight Shift:
This is the exercise that is used to balance your body. As its name indicates weight shifting, you have to shift your weight from 1 side to another. Let’s see how to do this
- Stand up with your feet hip-width apart
- Always spread your weight equally on both feet
- Then you have to shift all of your weight from 1 foot to another
- While doing this lift one foot off the ground so that you can balance your body and put the whole weight on one foot
- Hold this position for about 30 seconds if you can, if you have a good balance you can do this for as long as you can in a comfortable manner
- Then return to your original position with both feet on the ground
- And then repeat this process on the other side means on the other foot
11. Single Leg:
Single leg balance is more or less like a weight shift and will help you in further developing of your muscle and the core muscle strengthening. Let’s do this
- Start your exercise by standing with your feet hip-width apart.
- Distribute your whole weight evenly on both feet.
- Now for the hand position, put your hands on your hips and then lift one leg up in the air with this bend your knees and draw that leg behind you.
- Now for this position, hold it for 30 seconds or as long as you can comfortably adopt this position while maintaining your balance.
- Then go back to your normal position with both feet on the ground.
- And then repeat this whole process on the other side.
12. Balance Board:
There are many balance boards available in the market that will help you maintain your balance and will work on your abdominal muscles. These boards are also known as wobble boards. Among all of them, the most common one is the rocker board, which has movement in back or forth direction.
It’s a spherical board that moves in all directions. You can use this board whenever you want while walking kneeling sitting or standing. You can do several activities on the board while some of them are
- Side-To-Side Rock- Adjust your feet on the board and put them firmly on it so that you don’t fall
- Now move your body from side to side while maintaining your whole body weight
- Backward And Forward Rock– whWhileitting, standing, or kneeling on the board you can rock from front to back slowly while maintaining your balance.
- Circular Movement– sit, kneel, or stand on the board whatever you want, and then slowly rotate the board in a controlled manner in a circular pattern
13. Fitness Ball:
You can work on your abdominal muscles with the help of many pieces of equipment one of them is the fitness ball. A fitness ball is also used for the core strengthening position but that position can be uncomfortable for some people. While choosing the ball, you have to check that ball is big enough that you can sit on it and still keep your feet flat on the floor.
- Tight up your muscles of abdominal while doing all the abdominal exercises and then do this exercise for at least 5 repetitions each.
- With time increase the repetitions of exercise so that you can easily build up the strength of your core muscles.
- Abdominal Crunches– while doing this exercise keep your feet hip-width apart and put your back in a straight position when you sit on the ball.
- Cross your arms now and lean back as far as you can until you feel the tightness in your abdominal muscles.
- Hold this position for about 3 breaths.
- Abdominal Ball Raise– lie down on your back and put your legs on either side of the ball.
- Now try to lift the ball from your legs by squeezing it between the lower part of the legs.
- Pull your belly hole down or toward the spine.
- Hold the ball above for about 3 breaths.
14. Medicine Ball:
Other than fitness ball, medicine ball is used for the strengthening of core muscles. Once again, don’t forget to tighten your abdominal muscles whenever you are doing these exercises. When you are new to these exercises don’t ever jump to the harsh ones or fast exercises, start with the slow and easy ones, start doing 1 to 3 sets of 10 repetitions each and after some time you can increase the number of repetitions or the number of sets. Let’s see how you can do this
- Pull your body into an upright position kneel on your both knees and hold your medicine ball at your chest.
- Now while controlling balance falls forward in a position where your chest will press the medicine ball out of your hands toward the wall in front of you as you drop.
- Once you have dropped it, do the kneeling push-up.
- Then finally return to your normal position and then repeat the whole process again.
15. Fitness Ball To Work Your Sides:
If you are searching for the equipment which can build up your side core muscles then you don’t have to go far. The fitness ball which we have used to build the abs is also used for building up your side core muscles. Let’s see how you can use it
- Tighten your abdominal muscles as always.
- Put the fitness ball in between your legs and then lie down on one side.
- Lift your upper body off the floor while resting your whole weight on the forearm.
- Now lift your legs off the floor, don’t drop the ball keep it between your legs, and hold the position for about 3 breaths.
- Go back to your normal resting position and then switch the side.
16. Side Muscle With Medicine Ball:
Building up your side core muscles with a medicine ball is also very possible. Start with the normal 1 to 3 sets which include 10 repetitions until you build your strength to do more.
- Single-Leg Chop– while extending your arm on the side you are standing and standing on one foot. Bring your medicine ball in front of you in a chopping motion and then switch the foot which is in the air with the one which is on the ground when you swing then alternate sides.
- Figure 8’S– hold the medicine ball on your one shoulder and then bring it down in a chopping manner towards your other foot. stand back straight and then raise the ball on the other shoulder forming the 8 sign with the complete motion.
- Twists– stand your feet hip-width apart and put your foot in a firm position, holding the medicine ball with your arm slightly bent. Now swing the ball over one hip while twisting your upper body all the way around to the other side after that switch back in the opposite direction.
17. Engaging Transversus Abdominis:
If you want to build up your core muscles strong you have to find the deepest muscle in the core region which is the transversus abdominis muscle, find that muscle, and work on it. For any workout you are doing of the abdomen, always try to contract your transversus abdominis.
- Try to do the deep cough or force yourself for it. You will feel the muscle in your abs contracting that muscle is the transversus abdominis.
- This transversus abdominis runs deep in your core muscles and it starts from the belly button of your trunk and goes to the rib cage.
- Now when you find this muscle try to flex it and tighten it all the time.
- Always try to engage your transversus abdominis every time you are working out.
18. Segmental Rotation:
Segmental rotation means rotating your whole core area along with the spine, this exercise will be helpful as it will work a variety of core muscles group with little strain. let’s see how you can perform this exercise:
- Place the mat on the floor and lie down on it on your back, then bend your both knees and try to pull your both feet as close to your buttock as you can in a comfortable manner.
- Keep your shoulders on the floor and just move your lower body, not the upper one.
- Tighten up your muscles in the abdomen and now slowly and gradually drop your both knees towards the floor on 1 side. But only go that far which will be comfortable for you, you will feel the strong stretch sensations but it should not hurt you.
- Hold this position for about 3 breaths and then go back to your normal position or the starting position.
- Now switch your both knees to the other side and then again hold this position for about 3 breaths and repeat.
19. Supine Toe Tap:
Noe this exercise will help you to build up the strength of your core muscle while working on the glutes, hips, and legs. These regions will help your core muscles to gain strength. Also, this exercise is not very tiring it will put very small pressure on your spine and if you think that because of your back pain, you are not able to do the crunches then you can do this exercise. Let’s see how you can perform this exercise
- Lie down on your back, and lift your both legs with knees bent at 90 degrees.
- Your hands should be at your sides palms facing downward.
- Tighten your core muscles, lower your right foot, and gently tap on the floor while keeping the other leg still and back flat.
- Now raise your right leg to its starting position and bring down your left leg.
- Do the same with your left leg.
- Start this exercise with 1 set of 12 reps and with time you can increase the number of sets.
20. Core Strengthening Classes:
If you can’t go to the gym or any other site where they can teach you the different exercises for your core strengthening physically then you can just watch any class online. There are many sites of videos on core strengthening available on the internet that will guide you and everything about the poses and the positioning of the exercises without any charges.
Many websites are available which will guide you about the whole journey for your core strengthening and will tell you which exercise is good for you and which is not. Even many sites will charge you money to avail of all the access to the videos, you just have to pay them the amount and then you can get access to all the videos of core strengthening and also other videos of other muscles strengthening.
You can also take physical classes many fitness centers arrange free classes on the topic of core strengthening, you can learn from them and then can perform those workouts in your home without any assistance.
Also, you can hire a trainer who can come to your place and guide you each everything about your whole routine to strengthen your core muscles. He will tell you certain exercises, workouts, or the posses that will help you to strengthen your core muscles completely.
Body wellness is very important if you want to live your life fully. If your body does not have that much power you won’t be able to even stand up. so it is very important to make your body strong and powerful. Our body’s main part is the core or the trunk the body which consists of the main parts of the hip, back, and spine.
These body parts make your whole body movements possible. The core of the body is the region that is responsible for the whole body functioning. And if that area is weak you won’t be able to perform any function
In this article, we have shared certain exercises or poses with the help of which you can make your core muscle stranger than before.
Q: What Are The Main Signs Of Having A Weak Core?
Ans: Weak core means loss of balance, poor posture, no stability, and a higher chance of falling.
Q: How Long Will My Muscles Take To Build A Strong Core?
Ans: According to research about 8 weak are taken to build up your strong core muscles.