How to Clean Shower Head
Are you looking for how to clean shower head easily in 2023? If yes, stay tuned with us because this post will discuss some amazing hacks to clean a bath showerhead.
If your bath shower head is dirty, it will cause low water pressure and a bad smell in your head, hair, or body when you use it. It happens when the tiny holes in the shower head get blocked due to mineral deposits; hence your shower head sprays unevenly, irritating.
So for your and your family’s good health, it is necessary to clean your shower head. According to the research, if you don’t clean your shower heads, over time, a large amount of Mycobacterium is built up, which causes lung disorders.
Therefore to get rid of these germs, we have explained some hacks in this article that you need to try to protect yourself.
Tips Before Cleaning Your Shower Head
Here are some things you need to keep in mind before cleaning the shower head:
Don’t remove the shower head for deep cleaning without estimating how bad the build-up or blockage is. If all the tiny holes of the shower are not blocked, and still water is continuously coming out of the nozzles, it requires deep cleaning.
Here you need to improve the water flow, so you just need to take a bathroom shower head anti-clogging cleaning brush, run inside the holes of the shower, and clean the shower with a sponge. It will improve the water flow, and water starts to come with the pressure you need.
But if the case is like that, there is a lot of build-up in the shower head, and water is not coming from the holes; you need to clean it properly. In that situation, you must remove the shower head from the holder to clean it appropriately. Hence your water restriction problem will be solved, and water will start with pressure.
3 Hacks To Clean Shower Head
Here are some useful hacks mentioned to clean the shower head.
Hack No 1:
Things You Need
- Baking soda (One tablespoon)
- Hot Water
- Plastic bag
- Microfiber cloth
What you need to do is…
- In the first step, simply sprinkle one tablespoon of baking soda over your dirty shower head.
- Now dip your shower head in hot water.
- After that, take a brush and start scrubbing it.
- Make use of a microfiber sponge for the steel side.
- Now fill the plastic bag with vinegar and soak it overnight.
- In the next step, empty the plastic bag. Scrub it again to remove the remaining dirt or debris.
- Now rinse with water and dry it with a microfiber cloth.
Hack No 2:
Things you Need
- A toothbrush
- White vinegar
- A Ziploc or sandwich bag
- Some fresh water
- Dry cloth
You will require a toothbrush, white vinegar, a Ziploc or sandwich bag, and some fresh water.
- First, you need to place your shower head inside the Ziploc bag or a sandwich bag, and after that, add the white vinegar enough to cover most parts of the head.
- Close the bag and leave it to soak for an hour.
- Remove the head from the bag and rinse it in clean water.
- Use the toothbrush to scrub away any stubborn limescale and finally wipe down with the cloth.
Hack No 3:
Things You Need
- Baking Soda (One tablespoon)
- Dish soap (Three tablespoons)
- Half a Glass of water
4 easy steps
- Remove your shower head and take in your hand and disassemble it.
- Take one tablespoon of baking soda and 3 tablespoons of dish soap in a bowl. Add a half glass of water and mix the solution.
- Now, start cleaning the shower head with the help of a sponge. Don’t forget to clean the back side of the shower head.
- Now wash it. The holder of the shower head also got some mold and grime. So, it would be best also to clean it like you cleaned the shower head.
Method to Get Rid of Minerals Deposits from a Showerhead
If your shower head is blocked or clogged due to mineral deposits, then the following are the things you need to unclog it:
- Lemon juice
- Any commercial descaler
You can also use certain cleaners available in the market that help you remove soap scum gathered outside the fixture.
If, by using the above things still, the shower nozzle is not cleared, then you need to replace it. Buying a silicone replacement showerhead is the best option.
How to Clean the Shower Head Routinely
Here is how you can routinely clean your shower head:
Prepare a solution of water, distilled white vinegar, or commercial cleaner. Spray the solution in equal parts over the shower head and use a sponge for scrubbing the shower head. Take an old toothbrush and run on the nozzle to clear its openings, and then open the shower for a few minutes to clear all the debris.
Method to Clean a Shower Head Without Vinegar
Above we discuss some hacks to clean a shower head using white vinegar. But when you don’t have white vinegar, you can use apple cider or lemon juice to replace it. Both lemon juice and apple cider vinegar can remove debris and dissolve mineral deposits as they contain a strong acid that helps clean different things.
If you don’t have time to dip your shower head, then for immediate cleaning, you need to take an old toothbrush and start scrubbing your shower head. Some of the debris will be removed by simply doing that. For further cleaning, prepare a mixture of baking soda and lemon juice. You can also add moistened salt instead of baking soda.
Take a sponge and start scrubbing. After you scrub, it then releases hot water from the shower head. You can also separate the shower head from the holder for better interior and exterior cleaning of your shower. After washing all the parts, assemble them again.
Method to Clean the Filter Screen of the Shower Head
Follow the below-mentioned instructions to clean the filter screen of the shower head:
- To clean the shower head’s filter screen, you need to separate the shower head from its arm using a wrench.
- Remove the debris or grime gathered on the interior with the help of water.
- Now, with the help of using needle-nose pliers, detach the filter screen.
- After that, wash the filter screen with water in the next step. If the filter screen is dirty enough not to be cleaned by simply rinsing it with water, you must scrub it with a toothbrush. It would be best to soak it in a bowl with added vinegar or any other commercial cleaner.
- Now assemble the filter screen and reattach the shower head with its arm.
- To remove remaining debris, just run the shower at full speed for at least ten seconds.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Can Vinegar damage my shower head?
Answer: If you use vinegar frequently or soak your shower head for a long period, then there will be chances of getting damage to your shower head. The vinegar has an acidic nature, so that it may cause damage to the finishing of brass, nickel, or chrome showerhead. So, leaving your shower head out of vinegar solution for a short time is highly recommended. And if you don’t want to take risks, you can use lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to replace white vinegar.
How often should you clean a showerhead?
Answer: It is highly recommended that you clean your shower properly after every month. If you do not clean the shower head for a long period, then calcium and other mineral deposits build-up that may cause a lot of blockages or clog your shower head. To prevent this from occurring, you need to clean your shower once a month.
Can you clean a showerhead with bleach?
Answer: Avoid using bleach and other products like that, which may damage the chrome, nickel, brass, and other coatings. If you have children at your home, it may also harm them and stain your clothes. So, it will be better to use other things like baking soda, white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, etc. Despite this, if you use a bathroom shower head anti-clogging cleaning brush, then it will be more effective rather than using other chemicals or acidic things.
How do you clean a showerhead if you don’t have vinegar?
Answer: If you don’t have vinegar, there are many things you can use to clean your shower head. You can use apple cider vinegar and lemon juice in white vinegar replacement. You can also use baking soda or other commercial descalers that are quite effective for cleaning your shower head. You need to prepare a paste of baking soda and water. After mixing well, apply it directly to the showerhead. After 30 minutes, you need to scrub with the help of an old toothbrush. Rinse it with water and wipe it off with a dry cloth.
Can you use lemon to clean the shower head?
Answer: Using lemon juice is quite an effective tip for cleaning the shower head. The lemon juice contains an acid that can scrub debris powerfully. So, for all cleaning, you must first clean the shower head with water to remove debris or grease. Add some drops of lemon juice and sit for at least ten minutes. Now remove the lemon juice with water and take a cloth to wipe off the shower to dry it completely. Still, the shower holes are blocked, and water does not come from the nozzle with high pressure; repeat this process.
To sum up, this article teaches you how to clean the shower head easily and quickly using different hacks. We have explained everything you should know about this topic which includes tips before cleaning your shower head, ways to get rid of mineral deposits from a showerhead, how to clean the shower head routinely, how to clean a shower head without vinegar, and how to clean the filter screen of the shower head.
Hope so you understand things well, this was all about How to clean shower head. Still, if you are confused, share with us in the comment section.
You Might Also like